Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Heat, Texas Drivers License and a few last jobs

Well it's 77 degrees at 7AM, I think it might be a warm one today. Being the first of April we will be having a mass exodus today. There has been a small trickle of people leaving daily and the park is almost to the point of having more open sites then full ones, but that will change today. The winter work campers are pretty much done as of today. Rich and I are still going to be helping out with the gates, pool and occasional odd jobs but I should be able to start getting our stuff cleaned up and repacked in preparation for our leaving on the 12th.

We plan to head for Livingston, Texas, home of the Escapees organization. I for one would like to see their mail operation and take a look around the area. We also plan to become Texans while there. I bought a cowboy hat in preparation for the move! I have begun studying for the drivers license test, I will need to get a class B non-commercial license to be able to drive the coach since it's GVWR is over 26,001 pounds (actually 34,000 #). I have downloaded the DL manual from the Texas Department of Public Safety which also contains a list of 120 study questions. I am not sure if Linda is going to attempt it or just go with the standard class C license.

There are a several advantages to becoming Texans. One of the biggest is no state income tax and the other biggie is the cost of vehicle registration is a lot less compared to Michigan. In Michigan vehicle registration costs are based on the value of the unit being registered. In the case of the coach plates will be about $300 compared to $1,500 in Michigan. We also figure the state income tax elimination will help pay for the cost of fuel.

I have a couple of utility pedestals that the mice/rats got into last fall and basically destroyed the wiring for the control module. I figure I will tackle them once my co-worker goes on duty so I won't get interrupted while working. The other issue is when they did the supply wiring to the pedestals they didn't bother to mark the breaker so I have to guest which breaker is supplying power to the pedestal I need to work on. I will make sure to mark them as I figure out what’s tied to what. I will let you know how it goes.

No comments: